This was a good year for me with my book reading goals. I like to get through about two books per month – I honestly wish I was a speed reader but I’m more the tortoise than the hare when it comes to reading speed. However, this year I managed to get through a few more books than I normally would and I’m obviously feeling pretty chuffed about it! (I don’t why I just used the word ‘chuffed’ as if I’m British but I’m leaving it in because I can.)
A few of the books that I really enjoyed – for the writing and because they made me laugh include, Maybe You Should Talk to Someone by Lori Gottlieb, Selfcare: A Novel and Under the Rainbow Bridge.
Sadly, there were a few books on this list that I did not enjoy (I feel bad about it, but it happens): The Other Black Girl (I really wanted too love this one, I really did… but I didn’t. I did love the cover though, so I guess that’s something); Can Your Hear Me Know, the Celina Caesar Chaveannes memoir; and Frying Plantain.
There were a few professional development titles that I also enjoyed. Professional Troublemaker brought a different, humorous flavour to the space of self help/career advice books that I quite enjoyed. While a few other books were hard to read at various points but in a good way, like Butter, Honey, Pig, Bread and How the One-Armed Sister Sweeps Her House.
Of course, my reading list for the year would not be complete without light-hearted fun reads including detective novels and even a few YA titles thrown in the mix.
Overall, it was a good year and I enjoyed most of the titles on this list. Here are the titles not ranked in any order.
You can also check out my other reading list posts for details on various reads.
My Complete 2021 Reading List
1. Hana Khan Carries On – Ozma Jalaluddin
2. Her Majesty the Queen Investigates the Windsor Knot – S. J. Bennett
3. Butter, Honey, Pig, Bread – Francesca Ekwuyasi
4. The Adventures of Isabel – Candas Jane Dorsey
5. One, Two, Three – Laurie Frankel
6. So Lucky – Nicola Griffith
7. The Firekeeper’s Daughter – Angeline Boulley
8. Professional Troublemaker – Luvie Ajay Jones
9. When Katie Met Cassidy – Camille Perri
10. Think Like a Monk – Jay Shetty
11. Under the Rainbow – Celia Laskey
12. Can Your Hear Me Now? – Celina Caesar Chavannes
13. How the One-Armed Sister Sweeps Her House – Cherie Jone
14. How to Pronounce Knife – Souvankham Thammavongsa
15. Honey Girl – Morgan Rogers
16. Frying Plantain – Zalika Reid-Benta
17. The Promised Land – Barack Obama
18. Maybe You Should Talk to Someone – Lori Gottlieb
19. Untamed – Glennon Doyle
20. Selfcare – A Novel – Leigh Stein
21. The Secret Keeper of Jaipur – Alka Joshi
22. Ace of Spades – Faridah Àbíké-Íyímídé
23. Selfcare – A Novel – Leigh Stein
24. A Holly Jolly Diwali – Sonya Lalli
25. The Holiday Swap – Maggie Knox
Hope you enjoyed this list and wishing you a very Happy Holidays!